CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK MASS
BIRTHDAY WISHES go out to Thomas Derr ’20, Trent Miller ’20, Max Vitti ’20, Nick Williams ‘21 and to all other BRONCOS who celebrate a birthday today. ♪Happy Birthday to you♫
CONGRATULATIONS HOCKEY – AHSHA named the All State and All Arizona teams yesterday. Congratulations to Joey Grams – Defense for making the All-State Team and to Kyle Tessmer – Forward for making the All-State Team and the All Arizona Team.
CONGRATULATIONS COACH OREM AND JVB SOCCER TEAM who capped off an undefeated season by beating Corona Del Sol 4-0 on Monday night at the BSC. Alejandro Hernandez scored twice, and Francisco Merida and Jack Cabianca each added goals to secure the final win of the year. Go Broncos!
BASKETBALL RESULTS – The Broncos took on Hamilton last night. The results are as follows: Freshman won 56-52 OT; JV lost 36-46; Varsity won 57-47. With the Varsity win tonight, our Broncos swept the Premier Region! Great work Broncos! Our next game is at home this Friday, February 2nd against Pinnacle for Hoopcoming. We need Brophy nation to come out in full force!
CONGRATULATIONS SPEECH AND DEBATE TEAM for placing 3rd at the Central Invitational this past weekend! Tournament champions included: Andres Ramos, RJ Heyman, Grant Gaylord, Shikhar Srivastava and Blaise Schaefer. FInalists included: Davis McHenry, Nick Sedegh, Nik Kirk, Ayaan Patel, Mariana Acevedo, and Zach Linhart. Great work, everyone!
SOCCER PLAYOFFS TONIGHT vs Tolleson (H) 6 p.m.; AIA PLAYOFFS-ALL must pay – $10 adults; $5 students/children; only AIA passes
BASKETBALL vs Pinnacle FRIDAY (H) F 4 p.m./JV 5:30 p.m./V 7p.m.; All Tickets are $5 each. YOU MUST SHOW YOUR STUDENT I.D.’S, MOTHERS’ GUILD, DADS’ CLUB AND AIA PASSES TO ENTER at no charge. (note: Students, a Hoopcoming ticket is NOT your admission to the game).
Poetry Out Loud 2018: BLAM presents Brophy’s 9th Annual Poetry Out Loud school-wide competition (credit to Bernie Banahan ’20 on the video) this week Wednesday and Thursday @ lunch, BBT. Students from all classes will compete to earn a spot in the Elite 8 competition next week and then on to the regional and state competitions. Come support your friends and classmates.
LUNCHTIME SPEAKER THURSDAY, 2/1/18 – There will be a lunchtime speaker by an Engineer consultant on Ground Water Contamination at lunch in Piper 110 on Thursday.
HOOPCOMING WEEK is here and we have a ton of fun planned for you. Before we get into the fun we have in store for the week let’s talk about the dance.
- Varsity Basketball plays Pinnacle at 7pm on Friday. Be in the stands at 6:45pm, the student section has a lot of fun planned. This will be one of the best basketball games this season. Not just for the Broncos, but the state or Arizona.
- After the game head over to the Great Hall for Hoopcoming! The dance will last until 11:00pm. Please make every effort to have a ride arranged at 11:00pm
- You will enter the dance through Poet’s Alley between Keating and Eller just like Homecoming. You will not be able to enter the plaza through the gym or under Freeman Arch.
- Tickets will be on sale as of break today through Ms. Dennard, the Varsity Shop or your favorite student council member. They are $10 presale and $20 the night of the event; make sure you buy this week!
- Guest Passes are available for this event. I’ve attached the pass here. You will need to print out the form and bring it to the Dean’s Office before the end of the day on Friday.
Please note: We only have 1500 tickets available for presale. Get them early this week and don’t pay $20 at the door. We will sell out of presale tickets. Also, this will be one of the most well attended basketball games in recent memory. If you want to guarantee that you’ll have a seat, I’d plan on getting to campus at least 15 minutes before tip-off. Now onto the week!
- TODAY – Your #1 soccer team in both the state and country face off at 6pm, BSC, 1st round playoffs.
- Thursday – Senior vs. Faculty Basketball game, Dutch @ lunch Seniors – Sign up here, it’s first come, first served! Please note, you won’t be eligible if you aren’t a senior.
- Friday – Free Breakfast / Rally before school / Cheer Camp / Buck-a-jersey day! Show up on campus at 7:00am for a free breakfast, basketball themed games, music, and a cheer camp to get us going for the game. Get your Friday started right!
And don’t forget – Poetry Out Loud is happening all of this week in the Black Box! As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Oldani or me with any questions.
Registration for the 2018-2019 Academic Year – Registration for the 2018-2019 school year will get underway March 5th. Information will be available on Brophy’s website. All students who will return to Brophy are required to register every year. Online registration materials need to be completed and submitted to Brophy by March 23th and completed physical forms must be turned in no later than June 1, 2018 to reserve your place for the 2018-2019 school year.
NOTICE TO ALL STUDENTS/PARENTS: All Students are REQUIRED to Obtain a Physical Examination for the 2018-2019 School Year. Starting with the 2018-2019 school year, all students will be required to have a physical examination completed as a part of the annual registration process. Online registration for the 2018-2019 school year will begin on March 5, 2019. Physical examinations for the 2018-2019 school year need to be completed after March 1, 2018 to be valid for the upcoming school year. The required forms to be completed by your medical provider will be distributed during registration. Completed physical forms are due on June 1, 2018. Please contact your medical provider to schedule an appointment for your physical.
OFFICE OF FAITH AND JUSTICE
You gotta eat, right? Why not do more, when you dine, to embody what a Brophy, Catholic school education expects? Try the 2018 Catholic Schools Week diet!
Saturday, January 27 – eat at Chipotle! Mention SARRC – Brophy partners with them to care for and learn with children with autism
Sunday, January 28 – go to Mass (THE holy meal) and then have brunch at The JoyBus Diner! Every meal purchased is 100% charity for meals for local cancer patients.
Monday, January 29 – eat at In N Out Burger! Why? January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month – part of our Summit this year. Make a donation at the register and they’ll match it 3 to 1!
Tuesday, January 30 – grab some food after school at The Refuge! near to campus and benefits Catholic Charities and employs people rebuilding their lives!
and Go to Poetry Out Loud at lunch in the BlackBox – no food, but we do not live on bread alone!
Wednesday, January 31 – go to noon Mass in the chapel (THE holy meal) and Go to the First Round of Soccer playoffs at the BSC! 6pm – The team and the snack bar are amazing! Or head to Mission Possible Cafe! – run by Phoenix Rescue Mission – 1516 W. Van Buren St., Phoenix,
Thursday, February 1 – Simple meal and fasting – on this day, remember that our faith calls us to solidarity with the poor. Eat less, give more. Head down to Andre House for dinner with the homeless, 5:30pm
Friday, February 2 – Hoopcoming! Watch the Broncos make a meal out of Pinnacle! 7pm – Snack bar is open! AND Carnival snacks at the dance after the game!!
We are a Catholic school – and we are what, with whom, where, why and how we eat.
BASEBALL TRYOUTS starting Feb 5th and any student who plans on trying out that has not participated in our off season program needs to email Coach Josh Garcia, firstname.lastname@example.org, head Baseball Coach before next Monday
If you missed the track meeting, please email Mr. Kalkman and sign up for the team at this link: https://docs.google.com/a/brophyprep.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeWNC9LkGqO1-obGbklMVa94EBQ8rvgamkN49QVa50kL5jvXA/viewform?c=0&w=1
RUGBY – If you’re interested in playing for the toughest team on campus, then join Brophy Rugby! The cost to play rugby is reduced from $300 to $150. Please go to E211 or email Mr. Middlemist asap for more info – email@example.com
Wednesday, January 31
- LACROSSE VARSITY TRYOUTS 3:15-4:15 p.m., BSC; 4:30 conditioning in the Dutch
- SOCCER – Varsity Playoffs vs Tolleson (H) 6 p.m.
Thursday, February 1
- Seniors vs. Faculty Basketball game, Dutch @ lunch Seniors – Sign up here, it’s first come, first served!
- LACROSSE VARSITY TRYOUTS, 5:30-7:30 p.m., BSC
Friday, February 2
Free Breakfast/Rally before school/Cheer Camp/Buck-a-jersey day! Show up on campus, 7am for a free breakfast, basketball themed games, music, and a cheer camp to get us going for the game.
- BASKETBALL vs Pinnacle (H) F 4 p.m./JV 5:30 p.m./V 7p.m.
- LACROSSE VARSITY TRYOUTS, 3-5 p.m., BSC
Saturday, February 3
- RUGBY vs NAZ/WM Cobrafists Boys HS, 2 p.m. @ WSC/Fear Farm (V)
- WRESTLING – Varsity Section IV Sectional Tournament @ Chandler H.S.
- SOCCER (V/JV) – Varsity Quarterfinals (H) 12 p.m. – TBD
- LACROSSE VARSITY TRYOUTS – Tryouts 7-9 a.m., BSC
Monday, February 5 – SPRING SPORTS TRYOUTS
- LACROSSE VARSITY – The first day of varsity practices will be Monday 2/5, 5:30-7:30PM at BSC. The JV season also begins; JV’s will practice Monday-Friday, BSC Grass. JV’s typical weekly schedule will be Monday 5-7pm
- TRACK AND FIELD first practice (M-Thur 3-5 p.m., Fri 1:15-3 p.m.) BSC – If you missed the track meeting, please email Mr. Kalkman and sign up for the team at this link: https://docs.google.com/a/brophyprep.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeWNC9LkGqO1-obGbklMVa94EBQ8rvgamkN49QVa50kL5jvXA/viewform?c=0&w=1
- VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT REGISTRATION FORM – Tryouts begin on February 5th at 5:00 p.m. in the Dutch Gymnasium for all 9th graders and those 10th graders who did not play last year. If your winter sports season has not finished, you will begin tryouts on Wednesday the 7th at 3:00 in the Dutch.
Tryouts for all returning 10th graders and all 11th and 12th graders will begin February 5th at 6:15 pm in the Robson Gymnasium. – A full tryout schedule will be emailed to all students registered for tryouts.
BODPOD – Attention all students and athletes! We now have BODPOD body composition testing every day at lunch. Sign up for a time on the link below. Also- anyone interested in joining the Exercise and Sport Science Club– come over to Strittmatter Sports Medicine Center (K1) at lunch every Wednesday and learn about exercise science and how to use new- exciting assessment technology. Everyone is welcome! BODPOD testing signup: https://docs.google.com/a/brophybroncos.org/spreadsheets/d/1TGgyyYEChpPej2M15mLBP_hETzm2i6t-X1fPEKacnvg/edit?usp=sharing
FORECAST FOR THE PHOENIX METROPOLITAN AREA: WED Sunny 80°50° THU Partly Cloudy 81°52° FRI Partly Cloudy 82°53° SAT Sunny 81°54°
ASIAN CULTURE CLUB – Please join us for our first meeting of the year- great company- and pure fun J we meet in room P112 every Thursday during lunch.
BROPHY RELIEF will meet Tuesdays during lunch in the Red Room of Romley Hall.
BROPHY STOCK MARKET GAME: The stock market competition is in full swing. The club meets every Thursday at lunch in B103. We talk about stocks- different views on investing- work on our portfolios- and host guest speakers. Swing by. Everyone is welcome.
CHEMISTRY CLUB meets in Piper 216 (Mr. Mazzolini’s room) on Thursdays every week. We offer tutoring opportunities to all chemistry students- as well as doing interesting labs once a month
CHESS CLUB/TEAM meets Tuesdays and Wednesdays @ lunch in Eller 215
COVERT POLITICS meets every Thursday in B212 at Lunch—all new and old members welcome!
THE GATHERING CLUB – If there are any of you who are interested in joining the Magic- The Gathering Club or the MTG Club please come to the meeting on Monday at lunch P212. All of you are welcome to join us there. If there’s another Trading Card Game you would like to play there (i.e Pokemon- Yu-Gi-Oh- etc.)- feel free to join us as well.
JEWISH STUDENT UNION – Come join the JSU! Fun. Games. Free food. Mondays at lunch in B103. All students are welcome!
KINO TEENS meets Wednesdays at Break in K25- Señor Leyba’s classroom. Be a part of supporting Kino Border Initiative and immigration reform education.
KNOWLEDGE MASTERS CLUB meet in L102 on Thursdays at lunch
MUSICIAN’S EXCHANGE CLUB meets every Tuesday @ lunch– B212 Mr McShane’s Room. All are invited!
PAINTBALL CLUB For more information and to sign up- email firstname.lastname@example.org
PEN (Peer Editing Network). How to Submit Your Writing for PEN Feedback:(1) Create a great draft of your writing using Google Docs. (2) Update the Doc’s sharing privileges (share > get shareable link > anyone at Brophy with the link can comment). (3) Visit pen.brophyprep.org to complete the PEN Submission Form as directed- and give us 24-48 hours to return your work with useful feedback.
RUBIK’S CUBE CLUB – A group of people who enjoy solving Rubik’s cubes and other twisty puzzles. Whether you’ve never solved a cube before or you’ve been solving for years- we are open to everybody! We meet Thursdays at lunch in P120. Sign up here
SCI-FI & FANTASY MOVIE CLUB meets every Thursday at lunch in E211
SCUBA Club meet the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month @ LUNCH- E110.
YOGA CLUB meet every other Wednesday in the yoga room (former Loyola weight room). This is an intro-level class and all are welcome. Mats and props provided. Student contact is Cooper Watkins, ‘20.
YOGA NIDRA CLUB meet at lunch every Tuesday in Loyola Basement (former weight room). No experience required and all are welcome. It is a sleep-based meditation that is extremely relaxing- rejuvenating and restorative. Any questions- please contact Max Mayfair ‘18
YOUNG DEMOCRATS – See Mr. Danforth for information- Eller-216.