Catch up on Brophy alumni this month
- Dave Mulligan ’97 on Conan on Thursday, November 21st with his band Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers!
- Armando Contreras ’10 was awarded the Albert Rees Davis Scholarship sponsored by The Singers’ Club of Cleveland. Armando is currently a student at the Cleveland Institute of Music.
- Running for Rice University, Will Firth ’11 earned All-Region Honors and a spot at the NCAA Division 1 Cross Country Region Championships on November 16th and 17th.
- RJ Silva ’10 will play a lead role in the Twelfth Night at Loyola University Chicago this month.
- Brophy honored Bob Wesley ’67, Tom Schmitt ’79 and Tim Schmitt ’81 at the 2013 President’s Club Dinner for their unwavering dedication to the Brophy community.
- Robert Schein ’95, Partner and Managing Director at High Tower Advisors Palm Desert, was quoted in WSJ article “Livening up End-of-Life planning.”
- Flavio Bravo ’12 joins LUC’s Fast for Families (photo)
- Patrick (JP) Hornbeck ’99 Al Jazeera interview about Pope Francis’ mission statement
- Brett Fitzgerald ’09 among 5 ASU Fulbrights teaching English in Korea. ASU among top 3 in Fulbrights
- Tony Strazzara ’07, along with a friend, carried an injured biker off a mountain trail. The man, grateful, posted their photo on his Facebook page.
- Eric Chalmers ’10, Student Government President, interviewed by The Commons @ Seattle University
Brophy alumnus Michael Stephens ’97 launched his own brand blended spices to create Slavo Salt. After leaving Brophy, Michael attended Texas Christian University, graduating with degrees in sociology and business before moving on to get his culinary degree from the California Culinary Academy.
During his 10-year tenure as a chef, Michael developed his special mix of seasonings which would later become Slavo Salt. This special blend of fresh garlic, salt and black peppercorns is perfect for both the seasoned chef and novice cook alike enhancing the natural flavors of meats, veggies, eggs and even Bloody Mary’s.
When it was time to name the product the answer was simple – Slavo, the nickname he picked up while attending Brophy. “There’s no good story behind the name unfortunately” Stephens says “it just stuck with me and always reminds me of my roots in Phoenix and at Brophy.” Slavo Salt is based right here in the Valley and available at local retailers as well as SlavoSalt.com. Visit their website and Facebook page for retail locations, great recipes and cooking tips too!
Photo: Michael Stephens, President of Slavo Salt Gourmet Seasonings
Dave Mulligan ’97 with his bandmates Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers
For more on Dave, visit www.davemulligan.com
(For full CBS content, visit http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50148066n)
|| Matthew Butler ’94 and wife Emily baptized their son Cole Matthew
|| Bob Lyding ’94 and wife Meghan baptized their daughter Alicia Hazel on May 20th
|| Steve McCarthy ’97 and wife Raquel baptized their son Dylan Francis on May 27th
–Joe Jahn ’71 celebrated the marriage of his son Ian to Lauren Taylor.
–Bradley Wiegand ’99 married Kerrie Cleveland (XCP ’99) on May 19th
–Tyler Pace ’97 married wife Kristin on May 26th
(Update October 16, 2012)
Dave and his bandmates, Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers, visit the Valley this weekend. See them live at the Sail Inn in Tempe on Saturday night, Oct 20th. Their YouTube video was published in March and in a month had 1.1M hits, to date they have nearly 1.7M. Don’t miss their performance this weekend.
Scroll down for video
(April 30, 2012)
With over 1.1 million hits on YouTube, Dave Mulligan ’97 appeared in a “video gone viral.” Along with bandmates Nicki Bluhm, Dave and band made headlines on the CBS News website with their cover of Hall & Oates 1980s hit “I can’t go for that.”
…that they recorded traveling down a highway
…in a VAN
…with a KAZOO!
Dave is the one in the passenger front seat. Take a listen, if you didn’t like H&O in the 80s, this cover will make you think twice!
Brophy grad John Damaso ’97 recently visited the 9/11 Memorial. He snapped these photos of Fred’s memorial.
John currently serves in Brophy’s English department and is a faculty advisor for the Brophy Literary & Arts Magazine. Facebook
Click the Flickr logo below for the memorial photos
Dave Mulligan ’97 is playing rhythm guitar and currently touring with blues musician Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers. They will make a stop in north Phoenix this Sunday (9/25) at the Compound Grill, then make their way to Tucson (9/26) at Solar Culture and Flagstaff (9/27) at The Green Room. For more information visit www.nickibluhm.com